Saturday, October 1, 2016

Development Metrics for Bhutan







I had trouble finding all of the indicators on World Bank for Bhutan. Therefore, I searched for most of them within Gapminder or other verified sources. Additionally, I found it important to add the GNH indicator because that is what Bhutan uses. It acknowledges that material well-being is important but also acknowledges the importance of well-being through many other variables such as: community, knowledge, spirituality and harmony with nature (grossnationalhappiness.com).

Here is a really great Ted Talk depicting how unique and special Bhutan is, in relation to it's economic mindset, well-being and environmentalism.


Table 1.  Common Demographic and Economic Development Indicators: Recent Data for Bhutan
Bhutan
Bhutan
Indicator:
Value:
Year:
Source:
GDP
1.962 billion
2015
World Bank
GDPPC, PPP
7983
2015 
Gapminder
HDI
.605
2014
UNDP Human Development Report
Life Expectancy
68
2015
Gapminder
Ratio of young literate females to males (% ages 15-24%)
85%
2005
Gapminder
New Born Mortality Rate (per 1000)
26
2007
Gapminder



Urban Population Growth (annual %)
4.4% 
2007
Gapminder
Urbanization Rate (% urban)
3.69%
2015
CIA.gov
      


Co2 Emissions (tonnes per person) .66 2015 Gapminder

GNH (Gross National Happiness)
.756 2015 Grossnationalhappiness.com


Below are some Gapminder and WorldBank charts that I found particularly interesting mostly related to environmental factors, excluding the GDP graph and the Life Expectancy graph.


Gapminder

Gapminder

World Bank

Gapminder

1 comment:

  1. Terrific work finding all the indicators and searching through different sources to discover the metrics. Very nice variety of Gapminder chart explorations!

    ReplyDelete