I personally believe that sustainability is rooted in the interconnectedness between all living beings and the earth itself. It is about recognizing the limits of the earth, acknowledging societal, economic and environmental systems and utilizing resources sparingly. I think that sustainability is about striving towards well-being for all inhabitants of the planet, as well as the earth itself, not necessarily economic growth.
Sustainability fosters the interconnectedness of social, environmental, and economic systems in order to encourage resilience through diversity and justice through conservation of resources, recognizing environmental limits to promote well-being for all inhabitants on earth, present and future.
I chose Bhutan for my research project because I think that Bhutan offers a very beautiful and hope-filled alternative way of life. I am excited to learn more.
I like your comment that sustainability involves "striving towards well-being for all inhabitants of the planet." Other definitions agree with your suggestion that sustainability is a process, a struggle, and I think this is an important point to complement Sachs' definitions. I read about the definition from your class from Ryan's post too. What I asked her was, who are the actors? How can "sustainability foster"? It's people that foster sustainability, right? - but who exactly? And how?
ReplyDelete