Reviews of Paul Sabin's The Bet
PDR
This review was very positive. For the most part, it provides a very good, thorough, summary of the novel. The author liked how Sabin used the bet in order to further explore the current conflict over climate change and economic growth.
Peach
This review was also very positive. The reviewer comments on The Bet being well written and researched, providing an overall very educational piece of literature. In addition to that, the reviewer also greatly appreciated the background surrounding the environmental movement.
My Thoughts
I think that The Bet would have been a good book to read for an audience that is not very knowledgeable about the environmental movement in the United States. I thought that the book was okay. Sabin provided a good overview but was very repetitive.
Prior to having read The Bet, I was very familiar with the environmental policies and organizations like the EPA, Rachel Carson's Silent Spring etc. However, I was only vaguely familiar with Paul Ehrlich and his theories and had not heard of Julian Simon at all. So in that sense, I think it was beneficial to learn about both of the figures theories and their lives. I also felt as though the historic context surrounding politics was really interesting. I liked learning about the political policies, Presidents and figureheads as The Bet was taking place.
I just feel as though the book did not necessarily arrive at some vastly insightful conclusion. I think that overall, it was important that Sabin showed that both Ehrlich and Simon are at opposite ends of the spectrum and tried to present a balanced perspective. However, I was also thankful that he denounced some specific ideas of each of theirs in the final chapter.
Very good comments! Would be good to include in book review too.
ReplyDelete